Please Visit the AAIU website and join their email list
EI CPI Fatal following engine failure
Our sincere sympathies to the friends and relatives of our dear departed colleague. Some food for thought:
- Have you practised engine failures
- - recently?
- - realistically? (ie right down to low level and not simply going around at 500 ft)
- Have you thought about Carb Icing and how it could affect you (interesting 'new graph' in the report below showing a surprisingly high risk of Carb Icing in most Irish atmospheric conditions)
- Have you thought about the 'real world' glide capability of your aircraft following an engine failure?
- - Especially if the prop is windmilling...
- - NB its likely to be MUCH 'draggier' than a glide with an engine at idle!
- It is highly likely that around 70 % of all engine failure incidents/accidents that have occurred in the past 20 years in Ireland have resulted in failure to reach the intended landing area.
Accident report here www.aaiu.ie/node/1115