EI CPI Fatal following engine failure
Our sincere sympathies to the friends and relatives of our dear departed colleague. Some food for thought:
- Have you practised engine failures
- - recently?
- - realistically? (ie right down to low level and not simply going around at 500 ft)
- Have you thought about Carb Icing and how it could affect you (interesting 'new graph' in the report below showing a surprisingly high risk of Carb Icing in most Irish atmospheric conditions)
- Have you thought about the 'real world' glide capability of your aircraft following an engine failure?
- - Especially if the prop is windmilling...
- - NB its likely to be MUCH 'draggier' than a glide with an engine at idle!
- It is highly likely that around 70 % of all engine failure incidents/accidents that have occurred in the past 20 years in Ireland have resulted in failure to reach the intended landing area.
Accident report here www.aaiu.ie/node/1115